Athletic Practice Permits
The Burlington High School Athletic Department requires each athlete to obtain a practice permit before he/she will be allowed to try-out and/or practice in a sport. All practice permits must be picked up before their sport season begins. Permits are available in the Activities Office.
The following is required to receive a practice permit:
- Complete the Online Registration process & attend the Activities Code Meeting (see below)
- WIAA Physical Card (typically Freshman & Juniors) – Athletes must have a yellow physical card on file for the coming sport season. Burlington High School WILL NOT accept middle school physical cards for high school; all incoming 9th grade athletes must have a new physical and submit the yellow physical card. Physical cards are good for (2) school years (if taken after April 1st) and kept on file in the Activities Office. Athletes or parents can check with this office to see when the card expires. This should be done well in advance in case a doctor’s appointment is necessary.
- WIAA Alternate Year Card (typically Sophomores & Seniors who have a physical on file) - Alternate year cards (blue) must be completed on the years when a new physical is not required. This form does not require a doctor’s signature.
- Athletic Fee - The Burlington Area School District has implemented a $75.00* athletic fee for students wishing to play sports. All fees must be paid prior to receiving a practice permit. Fees will be collected in the Main Office.
* Participation fee is for unlimited participation in athletics, $75.00 per athlete with a $150.00 family cap and/or Atlhletic Director waiver for economic hardship.
ATHLETIC CODE / INSURANCE INFORMATION:
The Athletic Code and Insurance information form is on the back of the yellow physical card or blue alternate year card. The school district in conjunction with WIAA offers accident insurance for participants involved in interscholastic athletics. This insurance will be secondary to the family’s insurance if the family has insurance coverage. By signing this form the parent assumes financial responsibility for items not covered by family insurance/school district athletic insurance/WIAA insurance. Your signature on the Athletic Code/Insurance Information form indicates that both the athlete and the parent have read the information.
ATHLETIC PRACTICE PERMIT:
The completed Physical or Alternate Year card, with both sides completed, must be returned to the Activities Office (NOT THE COACH OR MAIN OFFICE). Students and Parents must also fully complete the online registration (see below), attend a code meeting, and pay the activity fee requirement to obtain an Athletic Practice Permit. The athlete will be given the permit, which should in turn be given to the coach. When the coach receives the practice permit, indicating all steps are completed and the athlete is eligible to play/practice, the athlete will be allowed to participate. Under no circumstances will a student be allowed to participate without an Athletic Practice Permit.
Please read and follow these steps carefully to be fully registered.
Step 1: Watch the online Co-Curricular Code Meeting Video and answer the required questions. To watch the video, click here. If you attended the Sports Code Meeting on Monday, June 6th, 2016 you may skip this step.
Step 2: Register Online by clicking on "Register Now". All paperwork must be electronically submitted and fully completed prior to participating in any sports. No exceptions. If you are a returning user, you will be given the option to use the username and password previously created. New users will be asked to create an account. Information will NOT be saved until all online registration forms are completed.
Step 3: Each student athlete must have a completed WIAA Sports Physical Card on file in the Athletics office at Burlington High School.
- Physical examination taken April 1 and thereafter is valid for the following two school years. Physical examination taken before April 1 is valid only for the remainder of that school year and the following year.
Download the Physical Card and Alternate Year Card by clicking the Physical Card HERE and Alternate Year Card HERE.
Step 4: Activity Fee Payment: There is a $75 activity fee to participate in Athletics at Burlington High School. Payments are to be made in the Burlington High School Athletic Office.
Step 5: Get a Practice Permit: Once you have completed the online registration, turned in your WIAA Sports Physical Card/Alternate Year Card, and paid the $75 Activity Fee, the student will be issued a Practice Permit. Students MUST come to the Athletics Office to obtain a Practice Permit. Practice Permits may be obtained beginning on July 18th. Students must give their coach a Practice Permit in order to participate. If the student does not have a Practice Permit they may NOT participate in tryouts/practices.
Step 6: The parent/guardian and athlete must attend ONE Sports Code Meeting per school year. The Fall Code Meeting will be held on Monday, June 6th at 6:30pm in the BHS Auditorium. Please be sure to sign-in at the meeting. The Winter/Spring code meeting will be held on Monday, October 17th at 6:30pm. If you are unable to attend a meeting, you will be required to watch the video online.
Additional Information: Sign up for Notify Me!: Set yourself up to receive automatic texts or email notifications regarding games. You’ll receive game reminders and be notified when a game is postponed, cancelled, or rescheduled.
2.) Click on “Burlington High School”
3.) Highlight “Activities & Athletics Office” and click “Athletics Calendar”
4.) In the upper right corner, click NotifyMe!
5.) The website will take you thru the steps to register for Notify Me!