Please read this document carefully before signing.
Internet access is now available to students and teachers in the Burlington Area School District.
We are very pleased to bring Internet access to the Burlington Area School District and believe the Internet offers valuable, diverse, and unique resources to both students and teachers. Our goal in providing this service to students and teachers is to promote educational excellence in schools by facilitating resource sharing, innovation, and communication.
The internet is an electric highway connecting thousands of computers all over the world and millions of individual subscribers. Students and teachers have access to such information as:
1) Electronic mail communication with people all over the world.
2) Information and news from NASA as well as the opportunity to correspond with scientists at NASA and other
3) Public domain software and shareware of all types.
4) Discussion groups on thousands of diverse topics ranging from Chinese culture to the Environment to music to
5) Many university library catalogs, the Library of Congress, government documents, and thousands of databases.
With access to computers and people all over the world also comes the availability of material that may not be considered to be of an educational value in the context of the school setting. Burlington Area School District has taken the precautions to restrict access to controversial materials. However, on a global network it is impossible to control all material and an industrious user may discover controversial information. We (Burlington Area School District) firmly believe that the valuable information and interaction available on this worldwide network far outweighs the possibility that users may procure material that is not consistent with the educational goals of the District.
Internet access is coordinated through a complex association of government agencies, and regional and state networks. In addition, the smooth operation of the network relies upon the proper conduct of the end users who must adhere to strict guidelines. These guidelines are provided here so that you are aware of the responsibilities you are about to acquire. In general this requires efficient, ethical, and legal utilization of network resources. If a Burlington Area School District user violates any of these provisions, his or her account will be terminated and future access could possibly be denied. The signature(s) at the end of this document is (are) legally binding and indicate(s) the party (parties) who signed has (have) read the terms and conditions carefully and understand(s) their significance.
Internet – Terms and Conditions
1) Acceptable Use – The purpose of using Internet in our school is to support research and education by providing access to unique resources and the opportunity for collaborative work. The use of your account must be in support of education and research consistent with the educational objectives of the Burlington Area School District. Transmission of any material in violation of school policy or any U.S. or state regulation is prohibited. This includes but is not limited to: copyrighted material, threatening or obscene material, or material protected by trade secrets.
2) Privileges – The use of the Internet is a privilege, not a right, and inappropriate use will result in a cancellation of those privileges. (Each student who receives an account will be part of a discussion with a Burlington Area School District faculty member pertaining to the proper use of the Internet) The system administrators will deem what is
inappropriate use and their decision is final. Also, the system administrator may close an account at any time as required. The administration, faculty, and staff of Burlington Area School District may request the system administrator to deny, revoke, or suspend specific user accounts
3) Network Etiquette – You are expected to abide by the generally accepted rules of network etiquette. These include (but are not limited to) the following:
a) Be polite. Do not get abusive in your messages to others.
b) Use appropriate language. Do not swear, use vulgarities or any other inappropriate language and inappropriate or illegal activities are strictly forbidden.
c) Do not reveal your personal address or phone numbers of students and colleagues.
d) Note that electronic mail (e-mail) is not guaranteed to be private. People who operate the system do have access to all mail. Messages relating to or in support of illegal activities may be reported to the authorities.
e) Do not use the network in such a way that you would disrupt the use of the network by other users.
f) All communications and information accessible via the network should be assumed to be private
4) Burlington Area School District makes no warranties of any kind, whether expressed or implied for the service it is providing. Burlington Area School District will not be responsible for any damages you suffer. This includes loss of data resulting from delays, non-delays, non-deliveries, mis-deliveries, or service interruptions caused by its own
negligence or your errors or omissions. Use of any information obtained via the Internet is at your own risk. Burlington Area School District specifically denies any responsibility for the accuracy or quality of information obtained through its services.
5) Security – Security on any computer system is a high priority, especially when the system involves many users. If you feel you can identify a security problem on the Internet, you must notify a system administrator or the Burlington Area School District Internet Coordinator. Do not demonstrate the problem to other users. Do not use another individual’s account without written permission from that individual. Attempts to log on to the Internet as anyone but yourself may result in the cancellation of your privileges. Any user identified as a security risk or having a history of problems with other computer systems may be denied access to the Internet.
6) Vandalism – Vandalism will result in the cancellation of privileges. Vandalism is defined as any malicious attempt to harm or destroy data or another user, Internet, or any of the above agencies or other networks that are connected to the Internet. This includes, but is not limited to, the uploading or creation of computer viruses, attempts at gaining unauthorized access, or changing online materials without permission.
Burlington Area School District Internet User Agreement
I understand and will abide by the above Internet Use Agreement. I further understand that any violation of the regulations above is unethical and may constitute a criminal offense. Should I commit any violation, my access privileges may be revoked, school disciplinary action may be taken, and/or appropriate legal action.
User’s Name: (Please Print):______________________________________________________________
User’s Signature: __________________________________________________Date:________________
PARENT OR GUARDIAN
As the parent or guardian of ___________________________________, I have read the Internet Use Agreement. I understand that this access is designed for educational purposes. However, I also recognize it is impossible for Burlington Area School District to restrict access to all controversial materials and I will not hold them responsible for materials acquired on the network. Further, I accept full responsibility for supervision if and when my child’s use is not in a school setting. I hereby give permission to issue an account for this student.
Parent or Guardian’s Name (Please Print): __________________________________________________
SPONSORING TEACHER – (must be signed if the applicant is a student)
I have read the Internet Use Agreement and agree to promote this Agreement with the student. Because the student may use the network for individual work or in the context of another class, I cannot be held responsible for the student use of the network. As the sponsoring teacher, I do agree to instruct the student on acceptable use of the network and proper network etiquette.
Teacher’s Name (Please Print):____________________________________________________________